Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Statement
The Town of Amherst embraces and is strengthened by the unique and dynamic backgrounds of its community members. The Town believes in fostering and maintaining a safe and welcoming community, which is based on mutual respect for our residents, students, employees, businesses, and guests. The Town of Amherst will implement its commitment through its:
- Dedication to education and programming that reflects the unique diversity of our community, elevating the cultural awareness of all who live, work, and visit the Town.
- Commitment to provide inclusive and equitable access to all Town activities, facilities, programs, and resources.
- Commitment to and accountability for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in our government.
- Maintenance of partnerships and positive relationships with all members of Amherst and its surrounding communities.
- Recognition of all aspects of human differences including, but not limited to: Race, color, ethnicity, language, immigration status, gender, gender identity, sexual preference or expression, age, ability, religion, and criminal history - all contributing to the richness of our community while empowering our community members.
The Town of Amherst stands and works for these values because it fosters a safer, more welcoming environment and better quality of life for members of the Amherst community.
In 2020, the Town of Amherst became a member of the Government Alliance on Race and Equity (GARE), a national network of governments working to achieve racial equity and advance opportunities for all.
A group of Amherst employees formed a Core Equity Team in 2020 as well.
Core Equity Team Mission: The Town of Amherst Core Equity Team’s goal is to create an inclusive government that empowers our employees, elected officials and board and committee members to help residents, businesses, students, and guests feel safe, welcomed, and included in Amherst.
The Core Equity Team is committed to educating Town staff on the importance of racial equity, inclusion, diversity, and social justice. Our Mission will be realized through updating Town policies, procedures, guidelines, and diversification of our workforce. We will seek to extend this work to include members of boards, committees and elected officials.
Questions? Contact the staff members listed on the top right of this page under "Contact Us"