Lincoln Avenue Traffic Calming
Project Summary Sheet
Name: Lincoln Avenue Traffic Calming Project
Upcoming events: Lincoln Ave to be milled August 2013
Project Scope/Information: For 30 plus years the residents south of the University of Massachusetts (UMass) and north of Amity Street have voiced traffic concerns in their neighborhoods. In 2007 the Town looked at several possibilities for addressing the issues. The Town has taken the approach of trying the different solutions and collecting data on the outcomes for analysis. These experiments have shown the following:
- Vehicle speeds are 30 MPH over the posted limit.
- Vehicle volume is very high on Lincoln Ave and Fearing Street
- The use of speed cushions along Lincoln Ave. reduced the overall speed of vehicles on the street.
- Placing partial closures on Lincoln Ave.and Sunset Ave did not reduce vehicle volume or speed.
- The partial closures caused the neighborhood to be divided and placed a larger burden on the Northern end.
Since the Town has not found the correct tool(s) to address the vehicle speed and volume concerns in this area, we are proposing another experiment. This time the Town will install full closures between the neighborhood and UMass. The closures will be on Lincoln Ave at North Hadley Rd, on North Hadley Road adjacent to the UMass parking lot and possibly at Sunset and Mass Ave. This experiment will be installed in the April 2011 time frame and will stay in place over the summer and into the fall of 2011.
Street Closures Conceptual Plan Drawing #1
Street Closures Conceptual Plan Drawing #2
Comments January 25, 2011
Comments January 29, 2011
Comments January 31, 2011 (2)
Comments February 9, 2011
Comments February 11, 2011
Comments February 20, 2011
Comments February 24, 2011
Comments February 28, 2011
Comments March 1, 2011
Comments March 12, 2011
Comments March 28, 2011
Comments March 30, 2011
Comments March 31, 2011
Comments April 7, 2011
Comments March 31, 2011-2
Comments April 24, 2011
Comments May 2, 2011